Friday, October 12, 2012

Chicken Coop

Here are pictures of the chicken coop, and a little back ground info. My husband is a wonderful builder. He made the chicken coop, fencing included. It is efficient and safe. Nothing can get in and the chickens can't get out. We have space for about 18 hens. We started out with 15 birds, all chicks. As they grew we noticed that 6 of them were male. So 5 of them got put in the pot. Chicken and rice, is yummy!!! We kept one male, he is a New Hampshire Red. Very vocal and aggressive. I carry a stick with me every time I go in the coop now. We have 9 girls, 8 of whom are laying. One, aptly named, Samantha, (the white hairy footed gal) is not laying yet. I am working with her, I think she needs special nesting space/material. There are three Dominicker (spotted black and white girls) and 3 Rhode Island Red, hens. And 2 New Hampshire Red (more orange than red to me and sister to the rooster whose named, Rooster Cogburn or Ringo Star depending on the day). We had 3 all white chickens but they all turned out to be male. :( The original thought I had was to be an "international chicken coop", no racial profiling in my coop!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment